[CT Birds] female Brewer's Blackbird, Stratford

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 08:02:12 EST 2011

 From: Charlie Barnard Jr.
11/26/11- Stratford, Sikorsky Estuary Walk on Ryder's Lane

Late yesterday (11/25/11) afternoon at about 4:15, I observed a bird which
I feel very confident was a female Brewer's Blackbird. The bird was in a
mixed flock of "blackbirds" perched in a tree on the north side of the
Merritt Parkway/Wilbur Cross Parkway bridge which spans the Housatonic
River between Stratford and Milford. This location can be reached by
walking up a paved walkway which begins parallel to Ryder's Lane in
Stratford.

 I told Frank Mantlik, whom I talked to on the phone subsequently, that my
only doubt was based upon the light level at 4:15 playing tricks on me and
making the bird falsely appear to be gray. However, I now feel certain that
it looked gray because it was, in fact, gray.  None of the other blackbirds
around this bird showed any gray and it seems to be very unlikely that only
1 bird in the flock of about 50 birds perched together  would look gray
because of the light, while all of the others looked very black. I was
looking for anything to make the bird something other than a female
Brewer's, but nothing was evident. It matched a female Brewer's in all
respects that I could detail.

Several of us looked for the bird at daybreak this morning, but  we did not
see it.  I will try again from 4 PM until darkness this evening. The birds
come in to roost in the reed beds from about 4 until it is dark. The chance
of relocating this bird, if it is still around, is slim. However, it is
worth a try.

Charlie Barnard Jr.
Stratford