[CT Birds] Tame Hermit Thrush

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sun Nov 27 15:37:55 EST 2011

Today I was leaf-blowing and raking around my tiny yard, and the entire time I was accompanied by the cutest, most tame Hermit Thrush. The bird was taking advantage of the bugs being blown up from the leaf litter and soil. It was so tame that it would feed inches away from my feet, seemingly oblivious that I was even there. Once or twice I almost raked him up! At one point it even flew into my garage and I had to shoo it out. Literally the entire two hours I spent raking he followed me around, sometimes even running over my foot to catch a morsel. At first I was worried something was wrong with the bird, and I noticed it had a slight bill deformity that didn't allow the bird to close its bill entirely, but other than that, it was fine. The bird could fly perfectly fine, and it was very active and was able to catch and eat lots of bugs, so I figured it was fine and it was just being incredibly bold to exploit a rich food source. It was a neat experience!

James Purcell
Fairfield