[CT Birds] Very, Very Late Philadelphia Vireo and 5 species of Warblers at East Shore Park today

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 22:08:05 EST 2011

Hi all,

Patrick Dugan sent me photos of a Philadelphia Vireo that he took in Newtown this morning. It's the latest New England record by at least a week. There was a Maine record this year around 17 November and one in MA around 7 Nov. Oct 11 is about CT's latest previous record... Amazing!  We'll post the photos on the CT Audubon's blog along with photos of 3 of the 5 species of warblers I found at East Shore Park this afternoon. There was one Palm (western), 1 Tennessee (very late), 2 Nashiville (1 bright, one dull), a Common Yellowthroat (probably a young male), and a new one for the list, Yellow-breasted Chat. They showed up around 3:30 p.m. down by he harbor in the tall vine tangle and behind it along the fence.. We've now documented 13 warbler species for the park this November. I believe, that Nick got a shot of the Orange-crowned, so the only one not photographed was the Bay-breasted.  What fun!!

Frank Gallo

Life is short. Bird often.