[CT Birds] Cat question

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Wed Nov 30 04:57:16 EST 2011

Sarah, There is a newish product out now for hunter cats:  "cat bib".It supposedly prevents the cat from being able to jump, pounce.Belling cats simply does not work in curbing their predatory actions. If you're on friendly talking terms with your neighbor, you mightplay up some facts, perils that can and often befall outdoor cats.Outdoor, free-roaming cats are very prone to:getting hit by a car,attacks by other animals,diseases, parasites,getting trapped in someone's garage, basement,secondary poisoning from ingestion of poisoned mice,torture, poisoning, death by some deranged person.  Indoor cats are safer, healthier and live much longer, and consequently, vetbills are much, much lower for their owners.  Cats do adapt to indoor life -may take a couple of weeks.  Take it from someone who's had cats allmy life, all were foundlings, and lived long, contented and healthy lives. Free-roaming cats are now the second leading cause of declines in manysongbird, shorebird species - responsible for the killing, maiming of billionsof birds and small mammals annually. Re:  the tree.  You could put a wide sheet metal band around the tree trunk.I don't think it harms the tree, but worth checking that out.  That strategyworks quite well in preventing raccoons from gaining access to roofs fromadjacent trees. The American Bird Conservancy has a down-loadable fact sheet on catsand their impact on birds. Good luck!Meredith SampsonOld Greenwich        If the neighbor truly cares about the cat