[CT Birds] Cat question, cats indoors

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 30 10:55:18 EST 2011

I noted the request for suggestions on what to do about a neighbor's out door cat causing troubles for local birds. Unfortunately any short term "solutions" do not address the problem of the cat being outdoors. The nature of a domestic cat is to kill whoever is an easy victim. We have two cats here who are indoor cats and the bird life has increased greatly from when we had two outdoor cats. I suspect one of our former out doors cats led to the loss of brown thrashers who used to breed on the border of our property. The challenge is to some how convince your neighbor to keep their cat indoors. Indoor cats do live a  lot longer then out door cats.  I know this is a challenge as some people do believe it is "natural" for cats to hunt. My sister in California has two urban out door cats whose "rights" to kill local wildlife she defends some how. If the neighbor will not respond to reason concerning their cat you may have to take some more forcefully
 action concerning the cat.

David W Babington
Washington, CT