[CT Birds] Feral cats

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Wed Nov 30 19:12:11 EST 2011

How do you know that, Mona? Feral cats are second only to collisions with windows in the toll they take annually on bird populations with feral cats being responsible for an estimated 500 MILLION bird deaths here in the US every single year. Do you follow each and every cat around day and night to see what they are eating or surgically go into their stomachs to find out what the contents are?

Feral cats are killers, nonnative and not necessary here. I hate to see 500 million of the organisms I love most of all, the ones that bring myself and many others around me countless hours of enjoyment and happiness, dying every year from something that is so easily preventable.

To learn more about feral cats and bird mortality click here:
http://www.sibleyguides.com/wp-content/uploads/Bird_mortality_chart.jpg

or here: http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/index.html

Alex Burdo
Fairfield