[CT Birds] Feral cats & the original cat issue that started this

Grimm, Chris chris.grimm at globepequot.com
Wed Nov 30 23:51:49 EST 2011

Feral cats decimate native wildlife - especially wild birds - they are non-native predators. While people who release cats may have caused the problem, the cats are the ones doing the killing. The logic that cats aren't a problem because there may be even worse problems is akin to saying "factories pollute more than automobiles, so automobile pollution shouldn't be addressed."  http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/2011/03/cats-are-birds-no-1-enemy.html  Even PETA, for goodness sake, opposes TNR programs.  This is not "hatred of cats," but simple observation and fact-based research.  To deny that feral cats hunt is to simply anthropomorphize feral cats.

Practical suggestions for dealing with the cat that started these posts?... Have you asked the owner to have the cat wear a collar with a bell?  That could be a decent solution, if he's not completely intransigent.  Maybe you can take a picture of the cat if it craps in your yard (or collect the evidence) and insist that Animal Control cite the owner for allowing their cat to damage your property? While the lack of Connecticut roaming laws applying to cats prevents you from legally using a Hav-a-Hart to trap the neighbor's cat and remove it from your own property, the picture and/or evidence might help with the locals. Better yet, take a picture of the cat in the tree and call the State, because hunting owls is illegal, right? And the owner is allowing their animal to do just that. You might get some help from state wildlife officers.  Keep an ongoing document of the situation that you can provide authorities.

Finally, if a feral wanders on to your property, you are completely within your legal rights to catch it and remove it. Some will claim to "own" feral cats, but they have no legal standing. (Though finding a shelter that will take it is a bigger problem .)