[CT Birds] Southport Survey # 282

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Dec 1 12:37:36 EST 2011

Southport Survey # 282

Again, I tried to run this survey the past couple of days and was
stopped by the the west winds making white-caps. I avoid strong waves
because it reduces visibility of birds on the water and reduces the
number of birds in general.

The tide was approaching low at start with only the rocks of Sunken
Island exposed, but was at full low tide by the end. The sky was clear.

The Scoters and some of the Red-breasted Merganser off shore were at
the south end of Sunken Island. There was a fair amount fishing
activity with a dozen or more gulls taking up diving for fish. The
loons were scattered about.

The golf course was uneventful, the main pond contained the Hooded
Mergansers. At Sasco Beach the one jetty had the Turnstones on the
end. The harbor had the mud flats exposed and produced the Dunlin and
Black-bellied Plovers. The Pied-billed Grebes were there in the
shallows. Further down stream in the deeper section were the Bufflehead.

At Southport Beach the Black Ducks were feeding at the mouth of Sasco
Creek, while the Great Cormorants continued on the leaning tower.
Most of the Mute Swans were gone. I observed a lot of the Herring
Gulls feeding on crabs. The Ring-billed Gulls were feeding on small
things in the shallows. I wonder if the wind produced enough waves to
stir up the bottom making food available.

I noticed a lot of hawk movement at the end of the survey. I had 4
Red-tailed Hawks and a Turkey Vulture at Southport Beach, and another
3 Turkey Vultures and 2 more hawks on the way home.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	11/6	11/14	11/22	12/01
Tide	High	Low_	High	Low_