[CT Birds] SANDHILL CRANES - extra-limital (but just barely) - Granville, Mass

mresch8702 at aol.com mresch8702 at aol.com
Fri Dec 2 15:43:27 EST 2011

Wonder if these are the same birds that were in Norridgewock, ME earlier in the week.  Note the following post on 11/30 from Peter Vickery (not sure if they were seen subsequently in ME) -

I joined Trevor around 2:20 and we eventually saw 9 Sandhill Cranes fly into the big field noted earlier by Trevor.  After 45 minutes the nine lifted off and headed west, probably going to roost.  Two very vocal cranes then flew over the field and landed, calling a great deal.

Given that they're all adults or second year birds - and no youngsters - it seems more likely that these are migrants and not local breeders, but who knows for sure.

Best, Peter [Vickery]

Mike Resch
Pepperell, MA