[CT Birds] 1 Red T Loon - but I have a question

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 4 10:25:47 EST 2011

Bristol res #7 - Sat

15 Hooded merganser
2 C Mergs
2 Ruddy duck
1 C loon
1 Red T Loon - but I have a question  -

I saw a Common Loon out far with another Loon closer to me. The closer loon
was not a Common but a Red-T Loon, my first here. It dove under and i waited.
The distant Common dove and surfaced 6 more times within 5 mins, but the RT Loon
did not appear as I searched continually. I needed to leave but decided to wait
a bit more. 8 mins went by when i had to leave. BUT the RT Loon never appeared!!

Question: Can a Loon stay under water over 8 mins? I thought maybe it got caught
in some rocks or vegetation. It did not appear in those 8 mins anywhere else in
the res - I kept looking all over.  Bent states a captive loon stayed alive
under water for 15 mins! Can that be so?

Paul Carrier

3 min - 8-10 recorded.