[CT Birds] Southport Survey # 283

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Dec 4 11:55:20 EST 2011

Southport Survey # 283

The tide was high, the water rippled. The sky was overcast with no
wind. It was near perfect for observations.

Again the scoters and some of the Red-breasted Merganser were over
the area of the sunken Island. I had to look closely to pick out the
Surf Scoters. The loons were scattered about,with many way off
unidentified and uncounted flying by. One common was even calling. I
had a duet of a Common Loon and a Ring-necked Pheasant for a while.
Long-tailed Ducks were flying about and making noise as well.

The golf course had a flock of Canada Gees and one runty pale
individual. During the winter of 06-07 there were 7 Snow Geese that
spent the entire winter. The ponds had the Hooded Mergansers and the
lawn the remaining Black-bellied Plovers. At Sasco Beach the one
jetty still had the Turnstones, joined by some Dunlin. The harbor
continued to have the Bufflehead and will be present all winter.

The shore from Sasco Beach to the Westport side forms a shallow bay.
Today there was a flock of 30 Red-breasted Mergansers working the
whole area, feasting on fish (I assume Herring for talking to Larry
Flynn). Also present were several loons of both species. At Southport
Beach the Black Ducks in increasing number were feeding at the mouth
of Sasco Creek. The Great Cormorants continued to stand guard on the
leaning tower with only one Double-crested associate relegated to the
rocks of the base. Overall there was a great increase in Great Black-
backed Gulls. but the rest were unremarkable except for the lack of
first winter birds.

Just as I was getting ready to leave, a first winter Bald Eagle flew
over.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	11/14	11/22	12/01	12/4