[CT Birds] Shoreline trip (slow), oiled Black Duck at Hammo

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 4 17:57:15 EST 2011

Jay Kaplan and I spent the morning looking for birds along the shoreline from Hammo to West Haven.  Not much to write home about.  Our highlights were several Northern Gannets at Hammo and a number of the species already reported in other posts, also several coots at Sandy Point, a location where I have not personally seen any before.  The Sound was noteworthily devoid of diving ducks.  Loons of both common species were present in good numbers at all locations we checked.  East Shore Park was disappointingly quiet.

We are concerned about an oiled Black Duck that we saw sitting on the shore of the Meig's Point pond at Hammo.  It was pretty dark and wet and was preening itself vigorously in an effort to clean itself.  This is a bird that may be in need of some help.  There were many other Black Ducks present, both there and at other locations within the park, and none were oiled.  One wonders what this bird got into and where it is.  Hopefully this is an isolated incident.

Nice day to be out, in any event.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT