[CT Birds] Bridgeport

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Mon Dec 5 13:54:58 EST 2011

I happened to pass by Mountain Grove Cemetery and decided to have a
look. I haven't birded it in years. I had a nice little collection of
species. See the bottom for more information on birding it.

Bridgeport, Mountain Grove Cemetery 10:00 to 11:00

Canada Goose	15
Mallard	44
Great Blue Heron	1
Wild Turkey	6
Red-tailed Hawk	1
Mourning Dove	2
Belted Kingfisher	1
Red-bellied Woodpecker	4
Downy Woodpecker	5
Hairy Woodpecker	1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker	2
Blue Jay	4
Black-capped Chickadee	3
Tufted Titmouse	1
White-breasted Nuthatch	2
Carolina Wren	1
Brown Creeper	1
Golden-crowned Kinglet	20
American Robin	6
Chipping Sparrow	1
Song Sparrow	3
White-throated Sparrow	8
Dark-eyed Junco	24
Northern Cardinal	6
House Finch	6

The Cemetery is located on the east side of Rooster River which flows
into Ash Creek and forms the border between Bridgeport and Fairfield.
It was created in the 1840's and many Bridgeport notables are buried
there including P.T. Barnum. Overall it contains many large Oak trees
and conifers. The best birding is along the river where there is some
wetlands that attract ducks. Next to the river is a ridge of conifers
and azaleas that provides an overlook and usually contains something
interesting. In the 70' there used to be a big Blackbird roost there,
but I haven't checked on it in a long time.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield