[CT Birds] Windsor-Bloomfield Landfill THAYER'S GULL

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 20:37:05 EST 2011

Hi all,

There was a juvenile THAYER'S GULL at the Windsor-Bloomfield Landfill
in Windsor this evening among 1000+ large gulls. As the landfill was
closing many of the birds seemed to be settling down at the site
itself, potentially to roost. I had just lost the Thayer's so I'm not
sure if it was still present at that time. But there may be a decent
chance at relocating it tomorrow. I would recommend an early morning
search of the gulls on site, then perhaps another try in the afternoon
when the amount of fresh garbage typically peaks. Of course a steady
warm rain does not make for very pleasant landfill conditions...

Here are a bunch of photos and a description:
http://www.shorebirder.com/2011/12/juv-thayers-gull-windsor-landfill.html

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT