[CT Birds] Thayer's Gull and RH Woodpecker YES

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Thu Dec 8 16:56:05 EST 2011

Jim Orrico and I had the THAYER'S GULL from around 12:45-1:15. Funny enough, the bird was the first gull I looked at upon exiting the car, standing atop a pile of dirt with two HEGUs. For the next thirty minutes the bird spent the time in front of the dirt piles walking about before moving back onto a pile and then into one of the areas with trash. The bird was seen in flight three times, which was the clinching mark when the bird first flew from the first dirt pile.

The juvenile RED-HEADED WOODPECKER also continues at the Hockanum River Linear Trail in East Hartford (accessed from Elm Street) in the spot it had been previously reported. Please refer to Randy Given's post and directions here: http://lists.ctbirding.org/pipermail/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org/Week-of-Mon-20111121/029522.html

Alex Burdo
Fairfield