[CT Birds] No Thayer's, 12/9 PM

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Sat Dec 10 09:42:34 EST 2011

 We had an Iceland Gull there on Monday, 12/5 while looking for the Thayer's.  You are right, however, one would think there would be Lesser Black-backed and a few white-winged gulls with a flock of that size.  This landfill is the last one for gulls in the area.  At one time, there were huge gull flocks traveling from Hartford to East Hartford to Manchester to feast at the dumps. I can recall numbers exceeding 10,0000 gulls.  Our Christmas Bird Count totals for gulls have taken a severe drop since the closing of the three landfills. Unfortunately, the Bloomfield-Windsor Landfill is outside our Count circle.

Jay Kaplan
Canton