[CT Birds] Southport Survey # 284

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sat Dec 10 11:14:29 EST 2011

Southport Survey # 284

The tide was high, the water rippled. The sky was cloudy with no wind..

When I first looked out at Sunken Island, I thought the rocks were
just exposed. When I put the scope up it turned out to be a cluster
of Scoters. I have not seen so many birds in a long time, and not in
that location. Working the edge of the flock were the few Red-
breasted Mergansers. The loons were scattered about,with many of the
Red throated Loons flying by. The  Long-tailed Ducks were flying
about but not as common as last week. as were the Goldeneye.

Baby Huey the Snow Goose and friends were at the golf course again.
The ponds had the Hooded Mergansers and the Pied-billed Grebe. The
Black-bellied Plovers. and other shorebirds were gone. The harbor
continued to have the Bufflehead and were joined by 2 Great Blue
Herons. It appears the Double-crested Cormorants are finally gone.

At Southport Beach there were few birds and nothing to comment on.
The Great Cormorants continued on the leaning tower.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	11/22	12/01	12/4	12/10
Tide	High	Low_	High	High