[CT Birds] Bloomfield Snow Geese, misc.

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 11 19:24:57 EST 2011

>From Jamie Meyers:
12/11 - Bloomfield, Carmen Arace Middle School (with Jay Kaplan) -- 3 SNOW GEESE continue
Canton, Roaring Brook Nature Center -- YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER near barn
Canton, yard (Meyers Wildlife Sanctuary) -- WINTER WREN

Jay and I tried for the Red-headed Woodpecker in East Hartford with no luck.  The railed platform noted in the original post was largely flooded due to the mid-week deluge and it's entirely possible we were not able to go as far as necessary to see that bird/  We also made a quick run for the Barnacle Goose at Waterside Crossing, which as others have noted is in Windsor and nor Bloomfield.  The location was all but devoid of waterfowl of any kind.  So was Lower Bolton Pond, a place that usually has something worth looking at this time of the year.

Winter Wren often nests in Canton but the bird I had picking around in my yard was a town year bird for me.  Nice to see after what was apparently a difficult winter of 2010 - 2011 for them.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT