[CT Birds] Stratford, Long Beach

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Dec 11 20:29:44 EST 2011

Larry Flynn and I decided to take a walk down to Pleasure Beach
mainly for the exercise. We were surprised that the parking lot is
now open. Off shore was empty except for the scattered Loons. Close
to shore there were a couple groups of Red-breasted Mergansers and
one Group of Goldeneye. Plenty of Gulls on the beach but no Iceland
or other exotics. The Brant were on the beach and in the marsh.

Dennis Varza

Stratford, Long Beach and Great Meadows 8:00 to 11:00, walked from
the Long Beach parking lot to Pleasure Beach with Larry Flynn

Brant	74
Canada Goose	18
American Black Duck	103
Mallard	3
White-winged Scoter	1
Long-tailed Duck	6
Common Goldeneye	41
Hooded Merganser	6
Red-breasted Merganser	56
Northern Harrier	1	Great Meadows
American Kestrel	1	Pleasure Beach
Red-throated Loon	2
Common Loon	8
Great Blue Heron	1	Great Meadows
Great Egret	1	Great Meadows
Sanderling	5
Dunlin	8
Herring Gull	316	there were 8 first winter birds
Ring-billed Gull	115	there were 5 first winter birds
Great Black-backed Gull	7
Horned Lark	2
Northern Mockingbird	2	Pleasure Beach
Savannah Sparrow	1