[CT Birds] Rhode Island pelagic today (highlights only) Keith Mueller

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Mon Dec 12 19:17:14 EST 2011

Here are the highlights from a codfishing/seabirding trip I took today
on the Gale Francis. (these highlights are from the area of Coxes
Ledge only) Fabulous day for Alcids and sea birds. I have a few
thousand pictures to go through from the whole trip. The day was
perfect: sunny, winds 10 - 15 knots westerly, flat sea. Highlights: 51
DOVEKIE (most were swimming a short distance from the bow of the
vessel, and some flying and swimming a short distance away) There may
have been more, but I was concentrating on the birds closest to me. I
only saw two Dovekie all the way to Coxes. As soon as Capt. Richie
arrived at Coxes, the birds were all over the area. 1 ATLANTIC
PUFFIN-flew by as a single in the area between the Sand Bank rip (east
of Block) and steaming to Coxes. The bird was a good distance from the
vessel, and flew through the sun; I may have a distance shot of it.
75+/- large Alcids- at least 5 Common Murre and 13 Razorbills
postitively identified) the balance were a bit too far to call. Plenty
of Gannets, Loons and sea ducks. On the return to port this afternoon
(and enticed by suet chum)13 FULMAR and 50+ Black-legged Kittiwake.
Also 1 Bonaparte's Gull on Coxes.

I will have a complete report with images in a few days:
http://coastalbirds2.blogspot.com/

Keith MUeller   Killingworth, CT.