[CT Birds] Hammonassett

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:17:20 EST 2011

12/13  Madison, Hammonassett State Park
After parking the car about 1/2 mile from the nature center (road is
blocked  & being repaired), I walked along the beach to Meig's Point and to
the end of the Moraine trail, scanning for the razorbills, but I didn't
have any luck.
However at the jetty by Meig's Point was a mixed flock of Purple
Sandpipers, 4 Ruddy turnstones and sanderlings.  There were about 8 loons
on the sound-both Red throated and  common loons.  At the end of the
Moraine trail was 1 drake Common Eider getting followed by a young Herring
gull.  The gull was constantly swimming along side the eider.
16 Horned larks in the parking lot of the nature center, a northern harrier
circling the marsh, and on the walk back were song sparrows & chickadees.
Bev Propen, Orange