[CT Birds] Some Thoughts on Razorbills

Anthony Zemba Anthony.Zemba at gza.com
Wed Dec 14 11:10:02 EST 2011

Dennis et al:
An interesting topic for sure. Perhaps a combination of both?  It seems they were regularly sighted in eastern LIS after the great Alcid invasion of the winter of (2000-2001 was it?) when Razorbills and Thick-billed Murres were seemingly everywhere in Coastal Rhode Island and into Eastern Long Island Sound. I always wondered what caused that great incursion and thought perhaps it was in response to a prey shift or prey range shift, esp. since many of the small "baitfish" undergo seemingly dramatic population fluxes. Perhaps that was the case in the winter of 2000-2001 and since that time Razorbills have "discovered" the LIS as providing suitable wintering habitat? Again, pure speculation on my part.  Would anybody else care to weigh in on this topic?

Anthony Zemba CHMM
Certified Ecologist / Soil Scientist
GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.

655 Winding Brook Drive