[CT Birds] another early Broad winged Hawk in Nov.

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Wed Dec 14 16:36:12 EST 2011

 I find it interesting that there are a growing number of broad-winged hawk reports at this season. I recognize that what I am about to say will ruffle some feathers, but I have found that juvenile male red-shouldered hawks look very, very similar to Broad-winged Hawks. I have, on more than one occasion and with other seasoned birders by my side, thought I was seeing a winter broadwing, only to eventually realize that it was indeed a red-shouldered hawk.

So, here is my request. I believe it would be extremely valuable to photograph all potential winter broad-winged hawks. In a time where birds' ranges and off-season occurrences seem to be changing (be it climate change or a combination of some other factors), it would be worthwhile to know for certain if broad-winged hawks are really overwintering in southern New England and, if so, in what numbers.

OK birders, fire away......

Jay Kaplan
Canton