[CT Birds] Southport Survey # 285

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Wed Dec 14 21:19:07 EST 2011

Southport Survey # 285

The tide was low, the water rippled. The sky was clear with no wind.

Sunken Island and sandbar were exposed. The most obvious thing
observed was heavy feeding by the gulls. There were 230 on and around
the island. The gulls would fly up about 4 feet and dive into the
water. What was odd was what they were feeding on, STARFISH! I
watched for 10 minutes and saw numerous bird pull up starfish and try
to eat them. I did not see anything else being eaten. Also around the
Island were Red-breasted Mergansers, the Scoters and a few Black Ducks.

There were no geese on the golf course and only a couple of
mergansers and Mallards in the ponds. At Sasco Beach the only
observation of note was the Turnstones feeding on the rock jetty.
Southport Harbor had the usual Bufflehead and more mergansers.

At Southport Beach The leaning tower was empty. At Larry Flynn
suggestion I should call it the Leaning Tower of Spiza. At the mouth
of the creek, there were 2 American Wigeons along with most of the
Mallards and American Black Ducks.

Dennis Varza

DATE	12/01	12/4	12/10	12/14
Tide	Low_	High	High	Low