[CT Birds] Stratford KITTIWAKE, GANNETS, ICELAND, GREGs
mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 16 09:59:21 EST 2011
12/16 Stratford - 50F, mostly clear, very windy W @20-30+, white caps and
- Foot of Cove Place, LI Sound - adult BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE flying west far
out (1/2-3/4 of way to Mid-ground Lighthouse) at 8:20am. I studied it with
scope for at least 6 minutes. Lighting was decent (side light of rising sun).
Identified by smaller relative size (compared to nearby Herring Gulls), body
and wing shape: long, narrow wings (uniformly narrower than average gulls)
giving it a very sleek streamlined shape, with fairly rounded looking wingtips,
appeared to have just the wingtips black ("dipped in ink"), and characteristic
roller-coaster flight style which it exhibited the whole time I watched the
bird. Also, 2 NORTHERN GANNETS.
- Stratford Point - 7:25-8:10 am - Merlin, 5 NORTHERN GANNETS, 36 Am. Wigeon, 3
Snow Buntings, usual loons and ducks. I saw no Razorbills nor other alcids
during my 1.5 hour of seawatching.
- Shoreline Drive pond (between Third St and Fifth St.) - 5 GREAT EGRETS
continue. From car one can look up driveways of beach cottages to view the
- Long Beach (Oak Bluff Ave.) - adult ICELAND GULL continues. Park gate was
- Sikorsky Airport - 7:00-7:20 am - I looked for, but saw no Boat-tailed
Grackles leaving their usual night roost near the airport entrance. I fear they
are no longer in the area, but will keep searching as daylight permits.
More information about the CTBirds