[CT Birds] NYTimes: rufous hummingbird @ American Mus. of Nat. History.

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Fri Dec 16 21:06:50 EST 2011

I hope you won't mind extra liminal note, & I hope the hummer wasn't charged admission.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/16/year-end-visit/#more-382725

December 16, 2011, 7:18 PM
Year-End Visit
By MICHAEL KOLOMATSKY

Visitors to the American Museum of Natural History are familiar with its dioramas of stuffed fauna from around the world. On the third floor is a hall dedicated to birds of New York City, including the extinct carrier pigeon.  http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent/flash.php?framenum=1

Something not as rare for the city was spotted Wednesday just outside the museum’s walls, a bird believed to be a rufous hummingbird. It was seen near the Rose Center for Earth and Space on the 81st Street side of the building.

According to Paul Sweet, collection manager for the museum’s department of ornithology, the museum has over 850,000 bird specimens. That includes 250 rufous hummingbirds.

But those are all dead. The living birds breed in the Western states and occasionally show up in the East late in the year, Mr. Sweet said.

While the bird appears to have moved on, the photographer [Peter Scully] who took these images and others are sharing more photos of it on Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58638795@N08/6512851591/in/photostream