[CT Birds] 12/17 - Fairfield - Nashville, OC Warblers, YB Chat, COYE +

Alexander Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 16:15:25 EST 2011

I spent a good portion of the day birding most of the Pine Creek area and up and down Ash Creek. In my book it was incredibly successful, with FOUR (!) warbler species seen as well as a slew of other highlights. Highlights below:

Pine Creek OS, 10:00am - 12:30pm:
1 Pied-billed Grebe -- Cove area, viewable from the path leading up to the landfill from Veres Street, after you pass the pond.
1 Double-crested Cormorant -- Same as PB Grebe; sitting on a floating dock
1 Northern Harrier -- a nice juvenile moving about the Pine Creek area; seen in multiple locations. Possibly two or more birds involved
2 Sharp-shinned Hawk
1 Cooper's Hawk
1 Red-shouldered Hawk -- heard only
1 Peregrine Falcon -- Seen near the pond just off Veres Street
1 Hairy Woodpecker
2 Winter Wren -- one in the vicinity of the old landfill and one near the bridge
1 GRAY CATBIRD -- brushy area right off Salt Meadow Road - can also be accessed via a trail. Quick looks were had.
1 NASHVILLE WARBLER -- Possibly the same bird seen here on November 13. Seen on the trail leading up to the landfill from Veres Street. Easily differentiated from Orange-crowned
1 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER -- Same area as the Nashville.
1 COMMON YELLOWTHROAT -- Same area as the Gray Catbird. I was able to pish the bird in quite close and ID it as a 1st year male.
1 YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT -- Same area as the Common Yellowthroat and Gray Catbird. All of these birds were in the brush right next to the water on the left side of the trail if you're facing toward Pine Creek.
2 Swamp Sparrow

Just as I was leaving I ran into James Purcell who was on his way in. He reports that he had the chat, the Nashville and Orange-crowned Warblers, the Pied-billed Grebe, Peregrine Falcon and Gray Catbird.

Old Dam Road Marsh OS, 12:30-1:30pm:
1 Red-tailed Hawk
2 Golden-crowned Kinglet
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1 Eastern Towhee -- Back area along the canal
1 Fox Sparrow -- Back area along the canal

James also reports he had the Towhee and Fox Sparrow

Ash Creek OS and Upper Ash Creek, 2:00pm - 3:00pm

Nothing really stood out here. Large numbers of American Black Ducks (226) and other waterfowl species (including 5 Gadwall) were seen, as well as 9 American Tree Sparrow.

Photos of the chat, COYE and others to be posted here: http://floridascrubjay.wordpress.com/

Sorry for posting such a long message.

Alex Burdo
Fairfield