[CT Birds] Where are the Razorbills going?

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Fri Dec 23 14:33:40 EST 2011

Sure enough, at about 1 pm today I had 4 razorbills at Greenwich Point, paralleling the shore about 100 yards out and flying EAST.  Up till now I haven't seen the razorbill show in Greenwich, despite birding the shoreline here during my lunchbreaks most weekdays.  They certainly are not flocking in Greenwich harbor, which I keep an eye on more regularly than the point.
I also haven't seen too many Gannets this way yet.  I had one at Greenwich Point last week and it was my first for the season.  In years past I've seen more of them, and earlier.
Also at the point, several HORNED GREBES, lots of RB MERGANSERS and BLACK DUCKS, and a flock of about 30 RUDDY TURNSTONES.  Red-throated loons were strangely lacking, as they have been "more common than Common" up till now; there were however two COMMON LOONS close to shore.
-Sean Murtha