[CT Birds] Barrow's Goldeneye?

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Fri Dec 23 18:18:33 EST 2011

Hi Paul,

Good find! Consider this....Immature drake Common Goldeneyes can have
a larger nearly complete pale orange bill blending to a small area of
light olive brown along its basal surface bordering its anterior
lores, thus giving the bill an all orange look to it. THis can be seen
on "Common" Goldeneye drakes in their first winter (when they resemble
hens-but larger). When I kept Goldeneyes in my aviary (a few years
ago) this was "common". See if you can find the bird again, and look
for the slight white speckling (beginning of the white spot of the
drakes)in the lores which may or may not be present which may give you
a little ID help.

Hope that helps.

Keith M.