[CT Birds] Storrs CBC final tally

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 07:06:50 EST 2011

To balance Glenn's Napatree CBC count's 114 species report and display some geographical contrast between inland and coastal counts, the Storrs count had 75 count day and 3 count week species. That's the highest species count ever (looking back as far as 1990-1). We're easily pleased :)

There were no rare birds reported but mild weather and open water gave us unusually high lingering waterfowl numbers (Common Loon, Northern Pintail, Am. Green-winged Teal, Am. Coot). Our biggest dip was probably Sharp-shinned Hawk, but we often record Red-breasted Nuthatch, Eastern Towhee, Savannah and Fox Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlark, Snow Bunting, and Purple Finch which leaves ample opportunity to record a new high in the future with mild weather.
Steve Morytko
Ashford, CT