[CT Birds] East Hartford good birds

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 24 13:22:35 EST 2011

>From Jamie Meyers:
12/24 - East Hartford, Hockanum River Trail. accessed from Elm St. entrance -- first-winter RED-HEADED WOODPECKER continues.  Also, there was a singing (!) WINTER WREN near the parking area.  Take the path that goes north (left) from the parking area, down a hill then at the fork take the right fork and follow it to a boardwalk.  The woodpecker this morning was about 300 yards from the beginning of the boardwalk, just beyond a point where there is a short stretch of the boardwalk that has handrails (most of it doesn't).  There is a fallen tree over the boardwalk at this point.  The boardwalk takes a sharp right turn at this point as well.

I am posting precisely where I saw this bird because previous directions and personal comments from people who've seen it suggest that it might have been in a slightly different location in the past.  It was difficult to know how far down the boardwalk to go and I missed the bird a couple of times in the past, perhaps because I was in the wrong location.  This area is chock full of excellent woodpecker habitat and indeed woodpeckers themselves.  It's possible that this bird moves around a bit but hopefully these directions will prove useful to others who might be interested in seeing this bird.

This area is low and wet so the presence of the Winter Wren wasn't a shock, but I was very surprised to hear it singing.  I waited around to hear it a second time just to make sure I wasn't having some sort of caffeine-induced hallucination.  Quite a welcome surprise.

I made a run for the Hartford Common Loons and Batterson Iceland Gulls, among other things, but dipped on both.  There was a Gadwall on the Hockanum near the middle school, which is another local goodie.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT