[CT Birds] Palm Warblers, Silver Sands SP, Milford; Dec. 24

Scott Baron brnpelican at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 15:07:54 EST 2011

I walked much of Silver Sands State Park this morning.  I did not see the previously reported Snowy Owl from Charles Island but I could have missed it in the bright early sunshine or it could have been on the other side of the island.  Top species today at Silver Sands State Park was Western Palm Warbler.  I believe there were 2 of them.

Great Blue Heron, Red-shouldered Hawk and Field Sparrow were some other birds that were present in the park.  Most common waterfowl was Canada Goose with groups that totaled over 200 birds flying out of the marsh.  Male Red-breasted Mergansers were displaying just off the beach.

I saw one Palm in low branches of a small tree and on the ground nearby.   For those of you doing the upcoming CBC, here's the location: from the northern parking lot walk down the old dump road.  A row of small trees is on your left.  Soon it opens up and you'll see a low, wooden, curving fence on your left side.  At the beginning of the next treeline is where the bird was foraging.  It and another bird of the same size and flight style flew off toward the fence and marsh.  I searched for them.  I heard one of them call in a small group of little trees and high grass but the bird seemed to disappear.  Later in the southern parking lot I saw a Palm fly into a tree adjacent to the lot.  The bird "chipped" and flew off.

Merry Christmas!

Scott Baron
Vienna, Va.