[CT Birds] CT River loon +

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 25 13:07:17 EST 2011

I was intrigued enough by Paul C's post on Common Loons from Hartford that I checked out that place yesterday in hopes of finding them, as I don't think I ever seen a Common Loon on the CT River before -- at least north of Old Saybrook. Didn't see them in Hartford yesterday but I did get one on the river across from the Barnes Boat Launch in Enfield around an hour ago. The bird was well across the river and technically in Suffield. Pretty cool.

Also I had a pair of Gadwalls in a small pond off Ninth District Road in Somers, a new bird for Tolland County for me. They seem to have been in northern CT in small but better than usual numbers lately. Lots of geese around but nothing I could see that was unusual. Broad Brook Pond in East Windsor held wall to wall Canadas yesterday afternoon -- I was guessing around 3,000 honkers -- but again nothing unusual. Today about 33% of the pond was ice-covered and had a couple hundred geese and some ducks. Ponds are beginning to freeze up around here -- and they call THIS the most wonderful time of the year? Humbug!

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT