[CT Birds] Long Beach, Stratford + Lower Naug. Valley; Dec. 26

Scott Baron brnpelican at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 26 13:58:08 EST 2011

Hello, birders.

I birded Long Beach for over 3 hrs. this morning before returning to my family.  I walked along the point as far west as the first Osprey pole.  It was quite windy there along the water.

Perhaps these birds were already counted on today's CBC but just in case...  If anyone has questions or wants a complete list let me know.

Top birds were:

1 AMERICAN BITTERN flying north over the se. corner of the marsh before landing.

1 adult ICELAND GULL along the beach to the east, three jetties from the eastern boundary of the park.  Sitting inches from the water, where the jetty meets the water.  Then bird was walking when I left.  Seen through scope - smallish yellow bill w/ red spot, somewhat pale gray above, white wings w/ grayish "smudges" in primaries, pinkish legs, sort of gentle look.  A little smaller than the Herring Gulls nearby.

Along Rte. 113 there were two GREAT EGRETS next to each other in the marsh, not far from Oak Bluff Ave.

Also - 1 BLACK VULTURE seen over Rte. 8 in Shelton, .3 mile north of exit 13.  Later, 3 BLACK VULTURES over Rte. 8 in Seymour, .3 mile south of ex. 22.

Happy birding,

Scott Baron
Vienna, Va.