[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club January Activities

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 11:23:11 EST 2011

Happy New Year to all!  Be sure to check out the New Haven Bird
Club's schedule of activities for January:

Indoor Meeting:

January 12, 7:30 p.m. Birding Babylon – Jonathan Truern-Trend.  Jones
Auditorium of the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 123
Huntington St., New Haven.  Free and open to the public.
Jonathan, an Iraq veteran who served two tours there as a member of
the CT National Guard, also has had a life-long passion for birds.
During his 22 months in Iraq, he birded every chance he got and
tonight he will introduce us to the surprisingly rich natural history
of the country, an important transit stop for birds migrating to
Africa. Iraq is also a major wintering area for waterfowl and
shorebirds. Jonathan will discuss the destruction and miraculous
rebirth of the great Mesopotamian Marshes and will detail the
inspiring work of Nature Iraq, an Iraqi environmental organization
that has been surveying and advocating for Iraq's natural resources
since 2003, often at great personal risk. A UConn grad in biology,
Jonathan has worked in the American Red Cross Epidemiology and
Surveillance program studying transfusion-transmitted infectious
diseases. In Iraq he was with the 118th Medical Battalion.  Social
half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.
For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or call 203-230-1697.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk : Sherwood Island St. Park, Westport.
Wednesday, January 4, 7:30 a.m. Free and open to the public.  Enjoy a
mid-week trip to this fine birding spot on Long Island Sound at Exit
18 of I-95. We will check the Sound for loons, goldeneye, grebes, and
other sea ducks. The park’s fields are a good place to look for
Horned Larks, Snow Buntings, and sparrows. Meet at the main parking
lot in the park. Leader—Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com

Stratford/Milford Birding Tour.   Sunday, January 15, 7:30 a.m.
Free and open to the public. Join us as we visit the marshes and
beaches in Stratford and Milford.  We’ll be looking for sea ducks
including scoters, scaup, loons and grebes, gulls, raptors, and
shorebirds.  Meet at the commuter lot on Schoolhouse Road in Milford
just south of Exit 35 on I-95.
Leader—Chris Loscalzo: 203.389.6508, closcalz at optonline.net

Barkhamsted Reservoir & Vicinity (Hart To Hart: New Hartford To
Hartland).  Saturday, January 28, 7:30 a.m. Free and open to the
public. We travel north on Route 8 through the Naugatuck River Valley
to Torrington and then take Route 202 to the first of our birding
localities, New Hartford’s Maple Hollow.  We continue to Lake
McDonough and Barkhamsted Reservoir, then make a series of stops
along Routes 181 and 20 on the west side of the reservoir.  As the
wintry weather allows, we drive some roads in Peoples State Forest
and Tunxis State Forest.  When we reach the north end of Barkhamsted
Reservoir, we are within shouting distance of the Massachusetts
border.  Our list of northern species will be a short one, but the
scenery is great and the birding fun.  Look forward to a hearty lunch
of soup and sandwiches as we’ll be dining at a warm New Hartford
restaurant.  Meet at Amity Shopping Center, Woodbridge off Route 63.
Our caravan departs for Connecticut’s rural northern heartland
shortly thereafter.  Leader—Steve Broker:  203-272-5192, (cell:
203-747-6843), ls.broker at cox.net

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director