[CT Birds] 50 plus Cedar Waxwings

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 28 15:42:58 EST 2011

50 plus Cedar Waxwings just landed in a patch of Japanese Bittersweet in my yard
at 3:30 today. They fed and pushed on after 15 mins. Haven't seen these birds so
far this winter cept Monday for C Census in Canton.

Also, last Monday we had several large groups (in the hundreds) of feeding
Goldfinch in Canton as well. Also, haven't seen a single goldfinch here in
Harwinton for many weeks. Something is brewing, and i hope we begin to see more
perching bird movements here in CT soon.

So what kind of bird winter are we going to get this year? So far it seems the
winter birds have not arrived yet - or will they at all. Our food crop here in
NW CT is one of the best i have seen in many years. Plenty of food to
accommodate many seed and berry eating birds for a winter, but unless the food
crop gets consumed or is not abundant enough to support the birds up  north of
us this winter, we may not see much here in CT.

However - seeing all those Goldfinch on Monday and now these Waxwings moving
through gives me hope - That this might be the beginning ?

Paul Carrier - Harwinton