[CT Birds] Hartford County goodies (Cackler, RH Woodpecker, etc)

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 1 17:44:41 EST 2012

>From Jamie Meyers:
1/1/2012 -- Bloomfield, Filley Pond -- CACKLING GOOSE mixed in with ~ 200 Canadas around 2 PM
East Hartford, Hockanum River Trail -- imm. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER continues just beyond where the boardwalk noted in previous posts turns sharply right.
Wethersfield, Wethersfield Cove -- first winter ICELAND GULL and COMMON LOON (unexpected in the cove itself), at first light
Hartford, Traveler's Tower -- PEREGRINE FALCON, also at first light

Other notable local oddities for the date include a coot at West Hartford Res 6 and 4 Gadwalls in a small pond off busy Terry's Plains Road in Bloomfield.  The latter were present for the Hartford CBC a couple weeks ago.  I saw the coot last weekend.

The woodpecker showed after about 15 minutes of waiting this morning and was on the right side of the boardwalk a touch further down from where I reported it last week.  I suspect this bird does a lot of moving around in that grove, which is fabulous habitat for woodpeckers in general.  I noticed some red feathering coming in on its head.  The loon was very near the edge of the parking area in the Wethersfield Cove.

I tried for the Riverside Park (Hartford) loons with no luck.  I was also unable to locate the Snow Geese which were in Bloomfield recently.  However, there is a LOT of open greenery in the Bloomfield/Windsor corridor and thousands of geese around all over the place so there may well be other goodies in the area.

My first bird of the year was Eastern Screech-Owl, a most satisfactory species to start things off with.

Jamie Meyers
Canton CT