[CT Birds] New Milford, Barrow's Goldeneye

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Jan 2 14:12:44 EST 2012

I had a call from Renee Baade, birding with Neil Currie in New Milford.  They found a Barrow's Goldeneye (with some Common Goldeneyes) on the Housatonic River.  This is the same area where Greg Hanisek had a Barrows on 17 December.  Below I am copying what I wrote at that time about the location.  Renee says trying to view this stretch of river is extremely difficult.  They had the bird around 12:40.

"... BARROW'S GOLDENEYE on the Housatonic River in New Milford.  He is viewing it from the EAST side of the river, a mile or so (VERY rough estimate) north of the downtown iron bridge.  The view is from the parking lot of MedInstill.  I find that to be at 201 Housatonic Ave.  If approaching the iron bridge from the east, turn north just before the bridge and follow the road that runs along the river."

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT