[CT Birds] Rusty Blackbirds

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Jan 2 14:38:56 EST 2012

Ah ethics! I used to consider ethical behavior to be synonymous with doing the "right" thing, until an attorney friend of mine described "ethical behavior" as playing within a specific rules set such that one couldn't be punished for the behavior in question. In his description, you could essentially transgress morally but be okay ethically. Sigh... I still like my view better to be honest.

First, to be clear, I do not intend this to be an argument for or against hunting, I am keeping my opinion on that out of this. With regards to using a call to attract prey, it is okay as long as it is legal. Duck calls, moose calls, turkey calls (and imitations), etc. have long been part of hunting. The use of recordings or imitations by birders has long been (and will ALWAYS be) controversial among birders. Legal hunters are regulated by laws that are intended to reasonably limit their impact on wildlife (whether you agree with that concept or not). Birders on the other hand usually (always hopefully??) try to have the smallest negative affect possible on birds. Apples and oranges situation pretty much. Disclaimer: I should admit to pishing (intentionally) and flushing ducks (unintentionally) with my kayak yesterday on a CBC.

David Provencher
in error, and delete it.  Thank you.