[CT Birds] Great Island marsh 1/1/12

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Jan 2 14:57:52 EST 2012

Kayaked the Great Island marsh yesterday for the Old Saybrook CBC. I was sick as a dog but I'm the only one who does this so... you gotta do what you gotta do. I still have to get the data to the complier but here are a few observations/sightings. The birds were very low in number. I would postulate the ridiculously mild weather so far this winter (winter? What winter?) has made most inland wetland/water habitats still open and usable and has not pushed everything to coastal marshes. I found many less Marsh Wrens and sparrows than last year, and for those who are curious, I kayaked and walked the entire Great Island marsh area as best I could and did NOT find a Snowy Owl. Nor did I see any behavior in Harriers or Crows that would suggest they had found a Snowy and were harassing it. Among the few birds of mild interest I did find were:

3 Harriers (one of which I flushed off a dead Brant in the marsh  which was too far disassembled to hazard a guess at the cause of death)
1 Phoebe
1 Belted Kingfisher (female)
3 Marsh Wrens
1 Common Yellowthroat
2 Swamp Sparrows
1 Snow Bunting
1 Seaside Sparrow

Stepping up on a soap box briefly here: You would be amazed at the amount of human detritus washed up in the marsh. Worst of all are the plastic beverage bottles, numerous and ubiquitous.

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.