[CT Birds] Snowy Owl in Manchester??

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jan 2 20:14:35 EST 2012

I'm reluctant to post this because it seems unlikely, but I am fairly sure
I saw a Snowy Owl in Manchester, just before 9 AM this morning. I was
westbound  on I-384 when I saw a medium sized soaring bird to the south of the
highway. I  spotted it because it appeared to be white and flashed in the
sunshine. There  are lots of gulls in Manchester and for a moment I assumed it
was, but I had a  pretty good look and there was no way the bird was a gull,
totally wrong shape.
I am certain it wasn't any of our normal raptors either, wing and body
shape was very different. Only thing it vaguely resembled was a Broad-wing, but
 that would be just as rare this time of year I think, and There was no
black at  all underneath the bird nor on the wingtips.
The bird had a heavy body, broad, relatively short wings with blunt  tips
and a stubby tail which was spread wide the entire time I saw it. It was
making fairly tight circles along the edge of the highway. Not where I would
expect to see one, but I'm nearly certain it was a Snowy.

Don  Morgan
Coventry