[CT Birds] Birding In Stratford - Little Blue Heron ?

donnacap at aol.com donnacap at aol.com
Mon Jan 2 21:28:26 EST 2012

Another great day for me in Stratford.

There was a Little Blue Heron at the Boat Ramp today that I'm not sure if its the same one I have been seeing since Dec 4th.  It seemed must smaller and it certainly didn't have the grayish plumage that shows in my previous photos. Might be plumes on the head too (though it was windy today). If anyone else spotted him today, let me know what you think.  I have photos of today and previous ones I can share if anyone wants to compare them .

Other sightings:

5 Great Egrets, Great Meadow Marsh along Burma Road
1 Great Blue Heron, in a small pond on Access road near the utility station. It's spot I just stumbled upon while watching a Northern Harrier fly across Access road.
Gadwalls, Pond at end of Long Beach Blvd.
4 Buffleheads, several Canvas Backs,Frash Pond
Belted King Fisher, Hooded Mergansers, Shelby Pond (Shakespeare)
Red Bellied Woodpecker, 2 pairs of Downy Woodpeckers, 5 Mourning Doves, House sparrows, and one unidentified Hawk flying over my yard in Stratford.

@Dave P.  It's disgusting the amount of trash that makes it way in to the rivers.  I do the Housatonic River clean up in the Spring and on Fowler's Island we were ankle deep in bottles, balls, shoes, Dunkin Donut cups and countless other items.  Five people, 2 hours 40 bags and we only cleared a 10 x 20 foot area.  I sometimes pick up trash when birding, I think I'll make that my New Year's Resolution to carry garbage bags and pick up what I can. After Irene the shorelines were, and still are in a lot of places, a mess!  Hopefully the Save the Sound initiative will educate more people on the importance of our natural resources.