[CT Birds] Urban lunch time birding, Waterbury, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 3 17:35:26 EST 2012

I did some some unexpected urban late lunch hour birding today (Tuesday, 3 Jan 2012) in Waterbury, CT. I had a bit of lunch at a chain restaurant in Waterbury that is just up from the Barnes & Noble Book Store in Waterbury. The view looking down at the B&N book store from the large window of this restaurant gave me a great view of the activity of the urban birds of the area (house sparrows, European starlings, ring-billed gulls, and American crows). The starlings seemed to find French fries which attracted the gulls and the crows. The crows and starlings also seemed to like sitting in the sun on the B&N book store sign above the entrance to the B&N book store. Sorry no peregrine falcon went through the parking lot to scare all the other birds to death. I believe all the crows were the American species though at least one American crow, likely a young bird, sounded a bit Fish crowish.

David W Babington
Washington, CT