[CT Birds] defending Storrs!

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 3 19:03:50 EST 2012

>Paul wrote:
>I would like to suggest this, attend UCONN for four years and only bird within
>the Storrs area. By the time you
>graduate, you may not feel as patriotic as you do now, in fact, you may have
>quit birding altogether!
Hi Paul,

If that is not a challenge to those of us who are coastally-challenged, I don't
know what is!

In response I can only say: barnacle goose (several), white-front (annual),
tundra swan, rough-legged hawk, gyrfalcon, lapwing, snowy owl, sedge wren,
wheatear, bohemian waxwing, northern shrike (several), orange-crowned warbler
(probably annual), chat, lark sparrow, dickcissel (probably annual), pine
grosbeak ... and that is just on campus (and what I can remember).

And if you want to broaden things to the Storrs area, pink-footed goose (the
1st), storm petrels, swallow-tailed kite, Swainson's hawk, king rail, stilt,
Baird's, white-rumped,  western, upland and buff-breasted sandpiper, long billed
curlew, Wilson's and red-necked phalaropes, lesser black-backed and Sabine's
gull,  sooty, black and Caspian tern, dovekie, thick-billed murre, fork-tailed
flycatcher (again, the 1st), prothonotary and golden-winged warbler, summer
tanager,  etc. etc. etc.

I don't disagree with your general point, but I think the birds are there for
those willing to take the time and look ... given how many few people bird out
here, who knows what goes missing.  We could use a few more students at UConn
with the time to scour all the farm fields.   :)

Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net