[CT Birds] not meant to be a joke in New London

Arthur Shippee ashippee at snet.net
Tue Jan 3 23:02:34 EST 2012

This is a story I tell in class, to show how expectations shape what we see.

Out on Lake Whitney was a low bird on the water, sort of a Merganser shape & level -- but no dark head.  Hmmm ... some weird leucocistic form, all white Common Merg?  Hmm....

Then my brain let me see something not a bird:  it was a half-gallon Clorox bottle, clear as day.

(Misidentifying the Starlings from a few yards away is a different sort of story.)

	Ta!  Arthur