[CT Birds] Defending Storrs

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 17:35:24 EST 2012

Paul,

Actually, so far this year, I don't think we seen any buntings and longspurs and we haven't even had a Snow Goose that I know of. I don't think it's for lack of trying. I reported the highlights of the Storrs CBC count (held Dec17) here a few weeks ago but there really weren't any standout birds (except perhaps a Common Loon and Northern Pintail) seen - despite the fact that we had our highest species count ever! Mild temps and open water held waterfowl species in our area longer than normal.

Away from Tolland county, the Trailwood count was held Monday and in our Pomfret (Windham county) territory our team had 9 Rusty Blackbirds and a lone Gray Catbird.

Steve Morytko
Ashford, CT