[CT Birds] Pink-foot being seen now

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 5 20:35:34 EST 2012

1/5  Somers, CT-  To further aide others, here is where we eventually relocated
the PINK-FOOTED GOOSE this afternoon (1:35 - 2:15), which was in a flock of
maybe 1000+ Canadas. From the intersection of Rt. 190 and Rt. 186, drive south
on Maple St. to the Stop at the Somersville Pond Spillway (locals call it the
Millpond. Pond was mostly frozen, but some of the geese may roost here for the
night; this was where the bird was first reported this morning).  Continue south
on Maple exactly 1.0 mile to the white-fenced field on the left (east side of
road) with a single v-shaped tree toward the north end.  Before we got to this
flock another large flock was feeding on the right (west) side of Maple.
Earlier we had also found a sizable (1000 birds) flock further east off Rt. 190,
near Hurlbutt St., but where they were mostly out of view on a private horse
farm; except the kind staff granted us permission to enter and check.
Needless to say, there are many farm fields / horse pastures in the area.  Good
Luck.

I'll post some photos later this evening.
Frank Mantlik
Stratford