[CT Birds] pole mounted squirrel baffle choice

Kfinnan at aol.com Kfinnan at aol.com
Fri Jan 6 07:31:10 EST 2012

Rob & distribution - I hope you don't mind a "reply all" as I am  curious
about the experience of others, too.
In our case, squirrels have been able to defeat everything except the metal
 tubular baffles, which look like long cylinders.  They are installed on a
pole below the feeder.
If you have raccoons in the area, you will need the larger, "raccoon
baffle" version.
I have found that the top of the baffle has to be about five feet high to
prevent squirrels from simply jumping up to it from the ground (this will
need  adjustment if there is a high, hard pack of snow, like there was, last
winter).  Also, the pole must be away from nearby trees and structures that
allow squirrels to jump across or downward.
Good luck!
Kevin Finnan

Hi  all,

I am planning on getting a pole system to hang at least 4 feeders  and will
need a pole mount squirrel baffle.  Anyone have preferences  as to style?  I
see plastic cones and domes (I have a plastic dome  hanging over one feeder
and it doesn't work), metal cone styles, and metal  tubular (or "torpedo")
styles.  They are all in the same price range,  so my deciding factor will
be effectiveness.  What are people's  experiences?  (Offline replies are

Rob  Ballinger