[CT Birds] Waterford pig farm gulls

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 19:29:46 EST 2012

from Glenn Williams:
1/6 - Waterford, Miner Lane pig farm -- 1w "KUMLIEN'S" ICELAND GULL, 1w LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, presumed "NELSON'S" GULL (glaucous x herring hybrid)

I finally hit the pig farm at feeding time and it was crawling with hundreds of gulls.  The only problem here is that there is no set pattern of feeding the pigs that I have figured out and many gulls are out of sight from the road.  The Nelson's-type was a little larger than a Herring gull with a very frosty but scaley back.  It's primaries were very solid dark and it's bill was all black with a light tip.

On an off-topic note, there have been three Minke Whales in the Sound in the vicinity of Plum Island.  They have been seen the past two days by a reliable observer.  The Sound is hopping this winter.  It is a great time to seawatch or get out on a ferry or boat.

Glenn Williams