[CT Birds] COMMON MURRE, RAZORBILLS, KITTIWAKES - 1/6 NL FERRY

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 6 20:22:51 EST 2012

>From Frank Mantlik, with Denise Jernigan, Henrietta Lachman, Janet Mehmel, Penny
Solum, and Sara Zagorski-
1/6/2012  New London Ferry to Orient Pt, NY and back -  1 COMMON MURRE (CT
waters), 40 RAZORBILLS (10 CT, 30 NY), 3 adult BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES (1CT, 1
NY, 1 near state line), 36 NORTHERN GANNETS (9 CT, 27 NY), 3 COMMON EIDERS (NY),
3 Harbor Seals, plus usual ducks and gulls.
We took the 9:15 am boat (M.V. John H.) from New London.  Heading south into a
bright sun and a strong SW wind, conditions weren't the best for viewing.  The
11am return trip (same boat) was fantastic: riding with wind, leeward side of
boat, beautiful light conditions, and lots of birds.  I obtained decent photos
of all of the above.  Same day RT walk-on fare is $26.50, plus $10 parking fee
at dock.